Sunday, February 21, 2010

Micro professional development

Micro professional development
I was thinking about professional development and I was working on my blog site early Sunday morning. I was thinking about the time restraints that we have in K-12 education and professional development. I was entering in some new content to my site and it made me to think about my blog site and why I like it so much. I like this because these are short to the point videos most are three to five minuets. They are power sessions, to the point cut out the fluff. I have an example of what I mean here is the link .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObXdt-Yc6sg

Many times I think we get way to wordy in our education and training. The minimalist approach might have some merit in helping us to learn and focus what is important. I believe that we need to focus more on the main content. Kind of like what the power standards are do in helping students to get all the content they need to pass the MEAP. Many times when I read these books on education the 200 plus pages could be condensed or summarized into a chapter or less. So why could we not do this with short Professional development videos and articles.

Maybe this is a tool that we could use in K-12 to help meet some of the needs of professional development training of staff also.

What is your thoughts on this?
sharpstf@usak12.org

No comments: